Thursday, March 18, 2010

Decisions, decisions...

Our friend in LA, Heath, took the bike we were considering for a ride. He found it vibrated more than he expected (he has a japanese 4 cylinder bike) and it left him with tingles in the hands and feet after a 10 minute ride. This doesn't bode well for my riding the bike four hours a day for six months - and I'm twenty years older than Heath, too... After further research I'm really not sure an R1150 RS is the right bike for us. The riding position has a pronounced lean forward, and I'm too old to ride sports bikes.

We took an R1100RT for a test drive in Canberra to check the vibration. This is a fully faired version of the R series bikes. it has an upright riding position, and while I liked that, the full fairing seemed to get in the way of my legs every time I went to put my feet on the ground. I guess I'll have to get used to whatever we buy. For now, I've decided to wait until we get to LA to buy a bike, and hope there is something that we like available immediately.

After spending dozens of hours planning our route around the US, I had us on course to arrive back in LA 4 weeks before we are booked to fly home. This of course is not a bad thing (like getting to LA 4 weeks after our scheduled departure date), but it meant a lot of work revising much of the journey. The good news is we have time to motorcycle around New Hampshire and Maine, spend longer in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, take a trip around Death Valley and factor in some extra rest days.

No comments:

Post a Comment